Autonomous & Electric Vehicles
Autonomous vehicles are crucial for revolutionizing transportation, mitigating climate change, and shaping the future of mobility.
Learn about Purdue's Autonomous and Connected Systems Initiative
Autonomous and electric vehicles represent a rapidly advancing sector of the automotive industry. Autonomous vehicles use sensors, machine learning, and other advanced technologies to navigate roads and make driving decisions without human intervention, while electric vehicles use battery-powered electric motors to propel the vehicle. Leadership in this tech sector is vital to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve air quality.
- Increase safety and productivity in transportation, agriculture, construction, mining and other industries by reducing accidents and inefficiencies caused by human error.
- Drive innovation in the automotive and other industries, as well as in other areas such as battery technology, energy storage, and artificial intelligence.
- Enable greater accessibility to transportation for people who are unable to drive, including the elderly and those with disabilities.
- Reduce traffic congestion by optimizing driving patterns and improving traffic flow.